Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Happy Birthday!

Hi all,
So I've just finished off a few more frames to complete orders for some special birthdays, two fortieths and a fiftieth.

When I asked about favourite colours etc. the person who placed the orders didn't give guidance but instead asked me to just create what I wanted (when it comes to orders for adults, it is so much easier if you have a bit of an idea of colours and what their style is e.g. modern, vintage etc) so this was a challenge!
This was for Yvonne and I decided to have a blue period! The letter was painted in cerulean and then bronzed a little with Tim Holtz distress spray stain in antiqued bronze. I wrapped some chiffon ribbon around the tail of the 'Y' and bronzed the 'forty' and glued it in place. I wanted to do a pearl chain around the letters of the 'forty' but it didn't quite work so decided to glue a single pearl on each letter (these were from Hobbycraft). I have an extensive collection of beads from when I was into jewellery making and found the most beautiful blue glass bead in it which I threaded onto wire and wrapped around the tail of the 'Y'. Gingham fabric that I had was used as a background then pearls and blue beads were threaded on wire and wrapped around the mount. 



This little number was for Isobel turning 50. I went for a flowery theme in pinks and whites using some fabric I had from a fat quarter as the background and some paper flowers from Hobbycraft (some of which had little pearly details in the centre). I placed some  ribbon around the mount (which you can't see very clearly in the photo as it is quite transparent) as it had a lovely subtle sheen to it. Along one of the lengths of ribbon, I added a string of pearly and pink beads which I had in my collection. It did look very pretty once it was finished.
Finally for Lorraine, (this edwas my favourite as I'm a fan of bright colour and pattern) a slightly brighter creation using beading and quilling! I made lots of different pink shades by adding different quantities of white to a magenta acrylic. I painted a subtle swirl pattern on the 'L' using the different shades of pink (it's not clear in the photo but it looked effective). The swirl pattern was then echoed in the quills in shades of pink made by curling slim strips of paper and gluing in place. I had some beautiful crystal beads I wanted to use so threaded them on wire and glued in place on the back of the 'L'. I used embossing powder in silver to colour the wooden letters of 'forty' and then threaded some silver and glass beads on to wire to and glued the letters in place along the wire to look like bunting. 



I love creating these frames and although I'm not a big fan of the 'age' ones (I'm not sure I'd like a reminder on my wall of how old I am) they seem to be proving quite popular as unusual gifts...I've just received an order for another for a sixtieth birthday! Very happy indeed and I'll post some pics once I've finished it.

Thanks for visiting and  photo x_4162e768_zps0vr7iokb.gif

3 comments:

  1. Delighted to be your first Follower Amanda, and I just love your earlier posts with you lovely projects.
    Now these frames today are stunning, beautifully designed with gorgeous embellishments.
    I hope you get loads of Followers to your lovely Blog, I'll certainly mention you on my page the next time I post something. Hugs Cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cathy. Delighted to have you as a follower and I hope you will be the first of many. So new to this but thoroughly enjoying blogging! I get a little buzz every time I have something new to post and I loved the design process.
      See you soon,
      Amanda x

      Delete
  2. Well you certainly wouldn't want reminding of your age if you were me Amanda but the frames you have made are all beautiful and I'm sure they were all very well received. I think blue gingham always looks pretty and fresh. I recognize the rose background paper. I have some too. It really is pretty. Your quilling is a lovely addition. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all visitors to my blog and anyone who takes the time to leave a comment. Have a wonderfully crafty day!